Travellers with higher malaria risk
The following travellers have a higher risk of contracting malaria:
- Travellers who spend a lot of time outdoors in the evening and at night, for example during a hike.
- Travellers staying in rural non-touristic regions.
Following travellers are at a higher risk of serious malaria complications:
- Pregnant women
- Children younger than 12 years
- People older than 70 years
- People with an immune disorder, such as a condition affecting the spleen
- People in poor general health